- Library materials may be renewed unless there is a hold on the item.
- If another patron has placed a hold on an item you have checked out, you cannot renew it.
- If the item is not overdue, you may choose to keep it until the due date.
- If the item is overdue, you may choose to keep it and pay the fine upon return.
- If you are renewing items that are already overdue, fines WILL be charged for the overdue time period.
- See CIRCULATION CHART for details on how many times you may renew different types of materials (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.).
- Renewal of materials borrowed through Interlibrary Loan are limited by the lending library, not by South Plainfield Public Library. If you wish to renew any Interlibrary Loan materials, please call us at 908-754-7885 for assistance.
Use a computer in the library, or at your home or office, to renew your library materials:
- You can access your account directly from our home page by clicking on My Account (left-hand end of the navy blue menu bar). You can also login to your account from the Library Catalog, by clicking on Login (upper right-hand corner of the screen).
- You will be prompted for your name, the FULL barcode number from your library card, and your PIN (your default PIN is the last four digits of the phone number you gave us when you registered for a library card. You can change the PIN after you login to your account.).
- When you are logged in, click on Help with Renewals (beneath your name and address) if you need instructions for renewing your materials.
IMPORTANT: When using a public or shared computer to renew materials, be sure to log out of your account before leaving the computer.
With Elvis, our automated telephone renewal and notification system, you can use your touch-tone phone to:
- Renew items currently on loan (you can renew items individually or all at once).
- Find out titles and due dates of items you currently have on loan.
- Find out what reserve items you have waiting to be picked up (and you can cancel them if you wish).
- Learn if you have any fines or other charges.
Elvis can help any time, any day. (Sorry, Elvis cannot be used with a rotary-dial phone or beeper.) Before you call Elvis at 908-757-3280, you should have:
- The FULL barcode from your South Plainfield Library Card, and
- The barcodes of the items you want to renew (you will need to enter the last 4 digits of each barcode to renew items individually).
To access your library record, press 1. Elvis will then ask you to enter the FULL barcode number printed on your library card. Listen carefully to the questions and follow the instructions Elvis provides.
Elvis may also call you to let you know when your reserve books are in or if you have overdue library materials.
If you have any problems using Elvis, please renew your library materials in person at the library, or by calling us at 908-754-7885 during our normal open hours.
'Elvis' is on the job around the clock!
If you prefer, you may renew your library materials in person at the library, or by calling us at 908-754-7885 during our normal open hours.