This change will provide even more services and greater convenience to you, as well as major cost savings to the library.
We ask for your patience while we make this transition. As with any new system, we expect there will be some bumps along the way - but we are confident that, in the long run, this change will be a big improvement for everyone!
Here's what is NOT going to change:
- The fabulous service and support we give you
- The wonderful programming you love
- The fantastic collection you enjoy
Here are some things that WILL change, beginning May 1, 2019:
- The new catalog will allow you to request items directly from any LMxAC member library, pick them up in South Plainfield, and return them to any LMxAC library. You can also borrow items at any LMxAC library and return them to South Plainfield.
- You will be able to use your South Plainfield library card at over 30 libraries in Middlesex, Union, Somerset and Monmouth Counties. We will accept the cards of patrons of those libraries as well. Go to https://www.lmxac.org/info/member-libraries/ for a complete list of member libraries.
- You can download a free mobile app that will let you check on your account, browse the library catalog and place holds from your phone. See https://www.lmxac.org/info/lmxpress-plus/ for info.
- You will have free access to Hoopla, a service that lets you borrow audiobooks, ebooks, movies, music, TV, and comics instantly. See
https://explorelmxac.org/hoopla for info.
- You will be able to read 150 magazines on your phone, tablet or online. See https://www.rbdigital.com/lmxac/service/magazines/landing for info.
- You will be able to pay fines with a credit card. See https://www.lmxac.org/info/services/smartpay/ for info.
The changeover to our new system will not take place until May 1st, so until then continue to use the library as you always have. If you have any questions, please ask.
Before May 1st, here are some actions you can take:
- If you live in one of the LMxAC towns outside of South Plainfield, make sure your local library card is up to date. If you don't have one, now is the perfect time to get one!
- Pay down your fines. The consortium blocks borrowing after you have accumulated $10 in fines. (You may wait until May 1, when you will be able to pay online with a credit card.)
- Download any saved lists you have made. Log in to your account and open 'My lists.'
Open a list and click 'Export List.' Choose a format, and select whether your list will be emailed to you, saved to your computer or flash drive (local disk) or displayed on the screen (from where it can be printed).
Click 'Submit' to export the list. Click 'Empty Bag' between lists if you want to keep them separate.
- Your 'Reading History' will be exported, but you may want to save a backup.
Using the Online Catalog
The online catalog allows you to search for library materials in all LMxAC member libraries, place & view holds, see a list of your currently checked-out items & due dates, see & pay your current fines, save multiple lists of favorites, and more.
- To start, from the menu on our
South Plainfield Public Library home page, choose:
- Catalog home (easy search / search everything), or
- Advanced Search
- Your search results will include items in all the LMxAC member libraries. To see ONLY items owned by the South Plainfield Public Library, click on 'Items owned by South Plainfield' to the left of the results list:
- Click on 'Login' or 'My Account' in the upper right corner of the page:
- Enter your library card barcode number and PIN in the login window that pops up. (You can also reset your pin in this window.)
For quick instructions on the basics of using the new catalog, see the 1-page printable
Searching the Catalog [Link opens a PDF] tipsheet, or watch the YouTube video on
Basic Search Tips for the Online Catalog VIDEO.
For more help and FAQ, see
Library Catalog Help page. There are also additional videos on using the online catalog VIDEO, covering My Lists, Advanced Searching, and more.
For instructions on placing holds online, see:
How to Place a Hold or
Catalog Help (under 'My Account FAQ').
IMPORTANT: When using a public or shared computer to renew materials, be sure to log out of your account before leaving the computer.
To search the catalog or access your account anytime using your smartphone or other device, download the LMxPRESS Plus Mobile app, available from the
iTunes app store and Google Play!
Download the app from:
Click here for a short YouTube video on the LMxPRESS app VIDEO.
Pay Your Fines with a Credit Card
Pay your library fines and fees from the comfort of your home by using
SmartPay! All you need is your library card number & PIN, and a credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or Discover).