is available @ your library!
SOUTH PLAINFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY COMPUTER USE & INTERNET ACCESS POLICY
- ANYONE wishing to access the Internet or use computer programs on the South Plainfield Public Library's computers must have a valid
South Plainfield Public Library card with them when they come to the library.
- Adults who live in South Plainfield must get a South Plainfield Public Library card in order to use a library computer. By signing the Computer Use Agreement form, you agree to abide by the library's rules.
- Guest passes for Internet use may be provided, at the discretion of the library staff, for nonresidents who come to the library very infrequently. Nonresidents who come to the library often must get a library card in order to use a library computer. To get a guest pass, you must present a valid photo I.D. to a library staff person.
- Anyone under 18 must have written parental approval to use a library computer. A parent or legal guardian must sign the Computer Use Agreement form in the presence of a library staff member. The parent will be given a copy of the South Plainfield Public Library Computer Policy. By signing the form, you take responsibility for your child knowing and abiding by the library's rules.
- Minors, under the age of eighteen (18) who do not bring their own library card to the library will not be able to access the Internet or use computer programs on the library's computers.
- Parents who give permission for their children to use the library's computers should be aware that the library staff cannot supervise children's use of the Internet. While the Internet offers many useful, informative, and entertaining resources, it also contains material that may be inaccurate, inflammatory, offensive, inappropriate for children, and even, in some cases, illegal. The library does not monitor and has no control over the vast number of sites available on the Internet, and cannot be responsible for its content. We strongly urge parents to supervise their children's use of the Internet, whether at home or at the library.
- The library does NOT use filtering software in the adult area; children whose parents have signed the Computer Use Agreement form may have unrestricted access to all non-filtered Internet sites.
- Patrons owing $25.00 or more in library fines will have their computer privileges blocked.
- Computers are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If all computers are being used by others when you wish to use a computer, please let the library staff know you are waiting.
- Computer access is granted in 60-minute increments. Renewal of time is dependent on availability.
Warning messages will appear on the screen 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and 1 minute prior to library closing, and 10 minutes, 5 minutes, and 1 minute before the end of your online session.
- Any work saved to the desktop will be automatically deleted at the end of your session. All work must be saved to flash drive. The staff cannot recover deleted work.
- Users assume complete financial responsibility for any damage they or their children may cause to computer hardware or software. Users are not to tamper with library computers in any way.
- Your computer use privileges will be revoked if you allow anyone else to use your barcode number to log on to a computer. You will also be held responsible for any damage to library equipment caused by another person logging on to a computer with your barcode number. Minors may not use a parent's barcode to log on to a computer, unless the parent is present to supervise the minor's activities. If your library card is lost or stolen, please report it to us at once so we can stop anyone else from using your card or barcode number.
- Coats, purses, book bags, etc. must be placed underneath the computer desk.
- There is a per-page fee of $.10 for black & white printing and $.50 for color printing. Pick up and pay for your printouts at the circulation desk. Please be careful when printing, as you will have to pay for every page you print. If you need help with printing, please see the reference librarian.
- Users are expected to respect the privacy of other computer users. This includes not representing oneself as another user, not stealing or modifying passwords, not trying to gain access to someone else's data or search history, and not ''hovering'' behind other users while waiting for a computer.
- The library cannot guarantee the privacy or security of information transmitted via library computers. We urge all Internet users to be very cautious in using library computers to transmit important personal information such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, etc. The library assumes no responsibility for any financial or other losses, which may result from the use of library computers.
- Time permitting, library staff will try to help with basic computer problems, but we cannot offer extensive computer instruction except at library-sponsored computer classes.
- The following misuse of library computers is prohibited and will result in the suspension or loss of the privilege to use them:
- Any physical tampering or damage to computer hardware or software;
- Any alterations to or tampering with the set-up or security protections on library PCs (including alterations to the PC Desktop, wallpaper or homepage);
- Use of library computers to send e-mail 'spam' messages;
- Unauthorized access to any network, database, or computer system;
- Display of graphic pornography. Such displays are inappropriate in a public building.
- Any uses or behavior which interferes with other users or library activities;
- Any other uses which violate local, state, or federal law, including copyright law.
- The South Plainfield Free Public Library cannot be responsible for the content of material accessed in violation of Library rules, policies, and procedures.
Users of the computers hereby release the South Plainfield Free Public Library, its Trustees, and employees, individually and collectively, from liability for any damages or losses arising from the use of the Library's Internet system.
APPROVED BY THE LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES 6/14/2016